Monday 13 June 2011

Long weekend bliss

Just spent the best part of the Queens Birthday weekend with my bff, who has happily come on board for the Farmers Wife Quilt Along - so we cut and sewed and caught up with week 2 and we each now have 4 blocks completed.  Luckily I have EQ (version 6) so I've been drafting the blocks and creating rotary cut instructions for each one (so far I've drafted the first 24 blocks).  Here's my bff's blocks:


Fabulous collection of black, yellow, white and grey prints - and I'll dye some grey fabrics for her to use too.  This is going to look fabulous.

Here's mine:


I must have done the handle on the Basket block 3 times - in the end I used the iron-on bias binding and stitched down the edges with ladder stitch.  I also had to repeat the Basket weave block - I usually cut all my patches a smidge bigger so I can trim the block back once it's all joined together - but this block doesn't lend itself to doing that - I trimmed back a good 1/4" on the first one I made which made the long white patches too narrow, so back to the cutting mat......

In my last update, I mentioned we have 4 new additions to the family......



Meet our new chooks - we've been assured they're all hens and it'll take a little while before we can verify that - but they're very cute, very noisy and very messy.  They're enjoying the sunny days we're having but have to come inside the house at night with a warm lamp.  This brings our little flock up to 10 chooks and 1 rooster - but 3 of the chooks are pretty old and we're only getting the occasional, gigantor, misshaped egg from them - I think they're nearly ready to go off to that big chook shed in the sky........

I also joined Elizabeth Eastman's Red and White Challenge at Occasional Piece - so looking forward to receiving the fabrics to make her blocks.

I'm loving this whole community of creative folks.................


1 comment:

  1. Glad you joined my challenge!
    I love the yellow and grey blocks--always wanted to do a quilt with those, but never have put the fabric into my stash. Maybe I'll have to give it a go. . .

    Elizabeth E.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!