Tuesday 16 April 2013

Press this, sew that, print this.......

Busy - loving it....

I quilted and bound the little Apple Bugs child quilt last week - I had intended quilting it with a spiral but I didn't like it so unpicked and started again....


I bought some of Sarah Fielke's 'On the pond' from Spotlight, added a couple of other fabrics and pieced a little child's quilt top which now needs to be quilted.  There was a LOT of trimming which is one of the reasons it stayed at child size.....The block is called 'goose tracks' but I'm calling the quilt 'Duck walk' - hopefully the things 'in the pond' didn't get eaten by the ducks (ok, mind slipping away here.....)

I tried a few different layouts...

The main picture was the final layout and it's now all stitched together - my husband thinks it looks 'fresh'

Some time ago we learned about collographs at school - using bits and pieces glued and shellacked to a piece of wood which is then used to print onto fabric.  I spent some time at a school friend's place and we picked up pieces from her garden and arranged them 'artfully'.  Kristen kindly shellacked my 2 pieces as we ran out of time on the day and they stayed in that state until this morning when I had a go at using them....


I used acrylic paints as it won't need to be washed - I really love the soft effect of the printing - I tried a couple of ways to transfer the image to the fabric and the best result was a little less paint, no water and me standing on the print block on a printing pad - it was recommended that we use the car to run over everything but I had visions of the blocks flying out from under the wheel and sconning one of my chooks - so standing on it was the next best option.  I'm looking forward to adding some embellishment and stitch to these at a later date.

Now I best go prepare for my classes tomorrow - a new term and a new subject for my quilty ladies - thinking about playing with colour and creating packs of fabrics to be used in blocks that will ultimately become a quilt to donate to a worthy cause....

8 comments:

  1. I love the duck feet. Great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love duck walk, great colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The duck walk quilt is fantastic! Love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the duck walk! Great idea for the printing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the duck walk and colours are perfect x please send a little swatch of the fabric with Ben for me to embellish...it looks lovely xXx hugs x H x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the "duck feet" but I also really like that apple core quilt. That's always a pattern that entices me (add it to the list??).

    WEll done!

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great work there. Especially love duck walk. And the painting sounds like fun - with a very cool end result

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments - so please feel free!!